Claes4

Claes4
Cheesing hardcore...the Claes4.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Kinda Healthy Brownies

Friday night snack attack!
We have been on dessert kick lately and tonight was no exception.  Ice cream alone wasn't going to do the trick so I decided to make brownies.  I was kind of amazed I had all the ingredients.

Here is the list of ingredients I used:
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used 4 ounces of plain unsweetened applesauce)
  • 1 cup white sugar (I used Splenda; follow the equivalent  for 1 cup of white sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I used the same amount of whole wheat flour)
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional) (I did not use nuts)
  • 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (optional)

  • Directions:
  • 1.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9x9 inch baking pan.
  • 2.  In a medium bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, and vanilla. Beat in eggs. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; gradually stir into the egg mixture until well blended. Stir in walnuts or add flax seed, if desired. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
  • 3.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the brownie begins to pull away from edges of pan. Let cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

  • Verdict:
  • They satisfied the craving but I think the next time I will either use 1/2 white sugar and 1/2 Splenda or use regular flour.  Something was kind of off about it.  I also will up the cocoa powder a bit.  Now that I think of it, adding powdered sugar to the top might have helped a bit.  Overall they are good, just got to tweak the recipe some.  I would actually be fine with my kids having these for breakfast but maybe with some protein powder added.

  • I found this article interesting about substitutions and baking:
  • http://www.healthylifect.com/home/article/Try-This-Cooking-with-Protein-Powder-3521492.php

No comments:

Post a Comment