Claes4

Claes4
Cheesing hardcore...the Claes4.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

1/4/12 – Garlicky Bread Soup


Not my soup but a picture from Hugging the Coast
(http://huggingthecoast.com/) that looked similar.
Tonight's dinner was going to be Garlicky Bread Soup but Sean and I got our times confused.  He told me he needed to be at choir practice at 7pm.  I thought he needed to be there at 7:30pm.  Actually he needed to be there at 7:45pm.  Instead we ordered a medium 2-topping thin crust pizza (bacon and ham...we love our pork products in this house) and an order of Stuffed Cheesy Bread with Spinach & Feta from Domino's.  For around $13 bucks the 4 of us were feed well and we had leftovers (6 months ago there would not have been a crumb left).  I served it with shelled edamame (first thing out of the freezer).

Back to the soup…we all love garlic and I had some fresh cloves I needed to use along with some old, crusty French bread.  For all intents and purposes I followed this recipe, subbing shredded Parmesan for the Parmigiano-Reggiano, using evaporated milk instead of heavy cream and using some Caldo de Pollo instead of all broth:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/garlicy-bread-soup-recipe/index.html

Overall I think it turned out fine but tomorrow will be the true test to see if the flavors melded together more.  I don’t think my substitutions affected it much and if it did our palettes are not developed enough to tell.  If we have this for dinner tomorrow night I am thinking of serving it with sauteed spinach, mushrooms and garlic or simple salad.  But tomorrow night is up in the air because Sean is planning on going to “Free Week” in Austin (http://do512.com/freeweekaustin/).  Instead I am thinking the girls and I are going to have bean and cheese chalupas and chicken fajita tacos.  Harper is crazy for chalupas, Marlee loves anything she can put avocado on and I have a pot of pinto beans in the crock pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment