Claes4

Claes4
Cheesing hardcore...the Claes4.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

1/17/12 - Pumpkin chili with sweet corn & flax seed cornbread


Thanks for the picture, honey.

Sorry for being out of touch lately but life caught up with me.  I have still been cooking but not nearly as much as I would like.

The first thing I cooked last week was pumpkin chili and sweet corn & flax seed cornbread.  Odd combination but so good.

First I browned 1 pound of ground turkey.  Once that was cooked I added 2 cloves fresh garlic and some rehydrated minced onion (trying to use up an impulse spice purchase).  Once that cooked up a bit I added chili powder, comino, sea salt, pepper and a little caldo de pollo.  After that was nicely mixed I added 1 can each of diced tomatoes and Bush’s chili beans, liquid and all (Marlee use to love these beans and I still have a few cans).  I then added about 5 cups of water, just enough to have about 1” of water above the chili. 

Now for the pumpkin!  During the fall my husband cooked and put up the innards from several pumpkins.  The pumpkin seeds were eaten long ago but I am so glad he put up the pumpkin pulp.  So, I defrosted the pumpkin overnight and once it was unfrozen I added half to the chili and then used my immersion blender to smooth out the rest.  Next time I will use the immersion blender on all of the pumpkin but it was fine the way I did it.

The pumpkin didn’t really alter the taste of the chili, maybe a bit sweeter, but it gave it good body and so many great vitamins like beta-carotene and Vitamin C.  To offset the sweetness I added a bit more chili powder and comino.

As for the cornbread, I just used a box of Jiffy cornbread mix and followed the recipe on the box but added a can of drained and rinsed sweet corn.  On top of that I added a few tablespoons of flax seed to give us some omega-3 essential fatty acids and more fiber.  I cooked it for the amount of time the box called for.

Verdict: We all liked this but I know next time to not serve the girls quite so much.  I put out shredded cheese and sour cream to top it off (next time I will add Tabasco sauce to mine).  The cornbread was awesome!!  So tender and sweet.  I will totally make this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment